News Ticker
  • Are you looking to join the best in the army? Fill out an application and enlist with the airborne.
  • We're celebrating one year of service, thank you to all that contributed to this awesome unit!
  • For returning unit members, make sure to stay updated on current unit events
Sign in to follow this  

Soldier of the Quarter - Q22021

Jack_Carnegie.thumb.png.19b70f1cb98b8a768816602a444c336f.png

Quarter Two - June, 2021

Staff Sergeant Jack Carnegie

Staff Sergeant Jack Carnegie joined the 101st Airborne Division Realism Unit on December 8th, 2020 where he was first assigned as a Radio Operator in First Platoon, How Company quickly upon graduation of his Initial Training Courses. Since then, Staff Sergeant Jack Carnegie has made his expedient growth through determination and appreciation of this community

From the beginning, Staff Sergeant Jack Carnegie made an excellent impression with everyone in the unit. He has demonstrated a capacity for leadership, training and other responsibilities in a wide and competent fashion. Throughout his time here, he has changed the way that we look at training and how we train new recruits in this unit from the ground up. As the first Senior Drill Instructor of this unit, he has done an excellent job fulfilling the vital role in the future of this unit. Staff Sergeant Jack Carnegie has also made contributions in the form of the re-introduction of Mortar Squad of First Platoon, with his excellent execution of fire missions and excitement with such a niche role within the community. It rains lead, and it saves a lot of missions. Here's to you, Staff Sergeant.

Why did you join the 101st Airborne Division?
I was in/helped run a WW2 milsim in Arma a few years ago, and the WW2 Airborne setting remains one of my favorite unit "themes" to play in milsim to this day, so I was looking for a unit of a similar setting. As well, I was looking for more than what my previous unit providing in terms of competence and enjoyment. Thus, my search led me here.

Any favorite/funny/memorable moment throughout our whole time in the unit?
A lot of memorable moments, but the Battle of the Bulge campaign is really what hooked me. Everything from `Finally, a hot meal` to getting shelled in our foxholes, to recovering drop canisters with a halftrack (and later recovering that halftrack!) is what hooked me into the unit.

Any advice to give to your fellow Paratroopers?
Enjoy yourself. We all have bad days or anger-inducing moments, but if something is consistently getting under your skin, say something. Your feedback will help improve the unit and make it a better time.

What value is the most important to you and why?
I can't narrow down what's the absolute most importance, but I would say definitely communication is towards the top. Whether it's you expecting to not be able to attend an op (TPR), or giving feedback after an op, or anything in-game, it's important to help ensure everyone is having a good time.

What motivates you? 
As nerdy and dry as it sounds, being able to execute a plan perfectly. There's nothing like the feeling of having 20+ dudes all collectively execute a detailed plan and it results in overwhelming success. To have that happen, I'm motivated to help ensure we properly train competent unit members and provide good leadership.

What would you say about the progress of the unit, and how you've contributed to it?
Going from barely a rifle squad and a half + a couple dudes in PHQ, to where we are now, it's awesome. It allows us to do so much more and offer so much more opportunities and complex operations. We never would have been able to support 3 aviators and a 5-man mortar squad on top of 2 consistently almost-full rifle squads and PHQ without the effort of all the Staff Shops, Leadership, and everyone who participates in the operations. As for my contributions, I just make sure dudes can fall out out metal sky tubes goodly.

Any valuable lessons you have learned while being in the unit?
Not necessarily a new lesson to me, but just something that's been reinforced is the unity of effort and quality of effort we have from the Staff shops and how it contributes to all the experiences we have. From S-1 bringing in more meat, S-2 actually researching and planning these operations for us, S-3 ensuring that people know how to fit into our play style, and S-4 Perscom/Uniform Maintenance/Multi-Media Production recognizing and cataloging our efforts, they all superbly contribute to the same goal. The same goes for the leadership at all levels ensuring things run smoothly, and of course to the main player base itself for just being there and enthusiastic about joining us on this common adventure.